Room Mate Aitana Review

Ive been sat here all day with my word document open wondering how I can put our trip to Amsterdam into words, the whole time I was away I’ve been dictating in my head what parts would make the blog. And now that I’m finally sat down to do that, my head seems to have disappeared. Maybe its because it’s the first day in 5days I’m alone and with nothing to do and I kind of took advantage of that. Maybe it’s because I’ve suddenly turned Christmas mode as I sit here purchasing presents and watching Arthur Christmas(Elf isn’t on Netflix).

I haven’t had the touristy feeling yet on my travels, New Zealands main language is English, the same with Australia. Singapore had majority of signs in English then mandarin underneath, which disappointed me a little bit as I felt my language shouldn’t have priority but I understand why. Mandarin is hard.
But here I was in Amsterdam trying to decipher the Dutch signs in order to get a train to the centre. I felt excited as I worked out where we needed to go and stood in line opening my google translate to learn some Dutch words around me. I felt like a tourist again.

The train to central station was simple and quick and I could already see our hotel before wed got off the train so I knew I couldn’t get lost. My main tactic in train stations is to follow the crowd and you’ll find the way to the exit. Upon exiting the station was our first and surely not our last encounter of bikes, bikes, scooters, tiny cars, bikes and more bikes. 
I knew they were a bike country but I didn’t realise how dangerous they can be! We did almost get hit by someone at one stage. But my main question is how do they stay so slim? I know they bike around but no one told me how many waffle places there were in Amsterdam!?! 

Back to the hotel, sorry I got a bit side tracked. Room Mate Aitana has such wonderful décor and it lived up to expectations. We got offered an upgrade to a panoramic room for an extra 10euros a night however we politely declined knowing that a view isn’t our main priority. We instead got a wonderful room, situated at the opposite side of the hotel giving us our private lift being located on the highest floor at this side with only two rooms to the floor. We had booked an executive room but it felt like we got a suite. Sofa, desk, a wall to separate the bed from the toilet door, it was the biggest room id ever been in. I loved it. The view looked out onto the dock and boats below and on the offices opposite us. This bit was a little weird as I did feel as though I was having a stare down with a worker one morning as I was staring out seeing what the weather was like.

It was more than I had imagined and for the price we got it at I was shocked. The hotel itself was spacious and lively, we had a drink in the bar one evening which is filled with couches and the biggest chairs that if I sat back my feet wouldn’t touch the ground. It felt relaxed and calming. We even took a trip to the other side where the rest of the rooms were to get ice one night, the décor on the stairs was just as pleasing as it was in the lobby. The only thing that disappointed me a little was on our side hopping out the lift was just plain white, no effort for anything like a plant or ice machine on this side. Almost as if they’d put so much effort into the rooms and the main facility’s they kind of just forgot the little details in areas they didn’t find important.


But I would highly recommend the Room Mate Aitana in Amsterdam, for location, comfort, and style. 
The view from the room.

View of our room from the window ft a sleepy kiwi.

View from the bed. 
Decor and couches in the hotel bar. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments