I took a break.


I took a break, a well-deserved holiday as far away as I could get without ending up in New Zealand.
Aruba.
But where’s Aruba? Everyone asked. A tiny island with a population of just over 100,000 and 20miles long, 6miles wide located just above Venezuela and sitting right in the Caribbean Sea. With a slogan ‘one happy island’ it was the perfect place to take a break.
Id recently got a promotion, meaning double the hours, double the responsibility and double the stress. That add in my Visa, my mental health and lots of other factors of my life taking over, I needed to get away.

While away I decided to mute all my work Whatsapp groups instead of leaving them, put the folder on a page I never used on my phone, as an experiment to see how much work actually consumed my life.

A week later and over a 1000 unread messages from 3 groups I was shocked. On a usual week I would have opened each and every one of these messages, read them all, even on my days off. Even now im back in the country, not yet back at work im back into my usual habits of reading through them. Indulging myself back into work before I officially was back at work. I found this utterly insane how much my life revolved around work without even realising, and I can honestly say it was so nice to not open WhatsApp every day.


This is no way a dig at my job, I enjoy it and the company I work for is wonderful but man, you don’t realise how much your life gets consumed by something till you remove it for a week. I am now going to try and practice the perfect work/life balance. Maybe use that page I don’t use more often on my days off.
Breathe a little, as I am currently thinking im a walking, talking product of my job.

When wanting a getaway that requires you to put your phone down, choose somewhere far away. Its so easy now with this new EU law that allows you to use your phone as you would in the UK to get wrapped up in every aspect of social media. Get somewhere where if you turn your data on you'll cry looking at your phone bill.
Escape the fake world and embrace reality.
Trust me, its worth it.


Sincerely a girl who has lived without a phone multiple times in her teen/twenteen life. 




You Might Also Like

0 comments