Do I look stupid?

Do I look stupid?

When you go out to a restaurant how do you treat your server? With respect, or like she’s an idiot because her job requires serving you?

I work as a waitress in the North Shore of Auckland, New Zealand, one of the nicest chillest country’s I’ve encountered. However, I work in the town that’s considered the rich man’s land. Thus meaning you are going to have to deal with the rich man’s attitude and sometimes telling a grown man that he is wrong ends up in a toddler tantrum.
Being a waitress I have learnt the number one life skill I think everyone needs, biting your tongue.

There’s no amount of times that someone will treat you like their personal slave that you can turn around and tell them to shut the fuck up and stop being a little bitch. Because the customer is always right, even when they’re wrong. Infuriatingly.

I’ve been clicked at, waved insanely like I’m neglecting a child, I’ve been called while I’m taking another tables order, because sorry your more important. I’ve been ignored, I’ve been told to fuck off, I’ve been shouted at, I’ve been talked to like I don’t know English, I’ve been stood next to my manager while a customer tells them how I messed up (when I didn’t it was the bar and thus being the response the guy walked away) and all I could do was smile.

I have a genuine smile, I have that smile you have to do when a table is being cute and telling you things with such passion even though you have 6 other jobs to do in your head. I have a you’re rude smile, this smile tends to come with my you’re being rude tone of voice too. Referring back to my life lesson, biting your tongue is key, but showing you’re a little annoyed at the asshole in front of you is always okay. Sarcasm the shit out of that bastard.

I’ve been told my job isn’t hard, and I can understand why people seem to think it isn’t, but when you’re busting your ass for 10 tables filled with 2-8 customers each which all wanting attention and the same amount of service at the same time, it’s overwhelming. I’m trying to provide you have the best experience for your value of money, and in return I get treated like I’m too stupid to do anything. We all do.

I work with a lot of fabulous people, granted we all look like we should be 15/16 but majority are learning to become midwifes, getting accepted into law school, going to film school to become the next Steven Spielberg, creating apps to change dining experiences, starting up company’s. I’ve worked with some of the smartest and most driven people ever and it’s unfair that because we’re trying to achieve these goals in life by starting off waitressing, we get treated like we are bottom of the pile.


So think next time you want to take your bad attitude out on your server that’s trying very hard to ensure you have a good time. Try taking a leaf from there tree, bite your tongue. Did your mother ever teach you if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments