Can i afford a mortgage with tattoos?


On a quiet Friday morning at work I wasn’t really expecting much as I started my day. I didn’t look the best due to having a 6am start so as you can see from below, I wasn’t anything special.



So I was a bit shocked when a customer asked me about my anchor tattoo behind my ear. One of seven. The only one that was visible if you looked hard enough. However it wasn’t the usual ‘so what does it mean’ it was a random; ‘so how much did it cost?’ which threw me as I don’t tend to keep track of the price of every ink especially when ive had this specific tattoo for 5years now.
‘I think it was around 120dollars and I got 2 for that price.’ I replied confused. 
‘See! This is why people with tattoos don’t have mortgages!!!!’ she explained.
Now. I have 7 tattoos. If I had to add up the cost of them all at a guestimate its no more than 600 dollars total. I don’t know any mortgage that is 600 dollars and if you find one please send me the link and sign me up!

I explained that I highly doubt people have spent half a mill on their tattoos. To which she scoffed and told me to stop reading what the news says. Unfortunately, I live and work in one of the most expensive citys in the world. I’ve also done my research I explained.
She scoffed once again, until myself and her husband agreed it depended on where you were wanting to buy, not the price of tattoos. She kindly told me that I need to be like my parents and go for a shitty suburb to afford a house.
I’m sure work wont mind if I relocate back to the UK thanks to the advice from this pleasant lady. The commute might take a while but I mean I have tattoos so it’s the only option for me.
Honestly I’ve heard all sorts of comments on my tattoos, I’m used to it. I think anyone with tattoos has. But I’ve never had someone tell me my ink on my skin is the reason I don’t have a mortgage. Its ridiculous. My tattoos cost less than car, less than some of the clothes people decide to buy. And less than any mortgage ill be getting unless I somehow get some diamonds tattooed into my skin.

I hope this little story time and insight into life with tattoos has brought a smile to your day. Meanwhile ill figure out how to commute to Auckland from the uk within a few hours to get to work on time. Ill update you when I figure it out.

You Might Also Like

0 comments