Newcastle

It was 5am. I was pulling myself out of bed really wanting to call a mental health day. Tired was an understatement. My whole body and mind was tired. But I had to be on a train at 6:15 so I didn't have any time to complain.

I got up; got dressed and left. My train was late and then got further delayed so my plans for breakfast were out the window. But I finally arrived.
Newcastle.
My old friend.
I've only been to Newcastle a few times but it hit me how important Newcastle was without even realising it.
I stepped off the train and immediately headed for the toilet. Proud that I remembered where they were since the last time I used them was over 3years ago.
I stumbled out to the street and I smiled for nothing had changed and it all seemed strangely familiar.

I was there with work and although I debated bailing after I'd signed in as I hate these things I pursued and at lunch took myself on a walk to the riverside to enjoy the view.
It was there I realised why I felt a sense of familiarity and warmness entering Newcastle.
Newcastle was the first trip I did with my mum when I was 14. It was the first place I ever ventured with friends alone when I was 15/16 and it was right next to where I was supposed to go to uni.
If my life had panned out the way 18year old lucy had planned I'd be in Newcastle lots. It would be like travelling to Leeds.
I let it all sink in as I thought about how different everything could be.
But instead I take the long trip home and feel excitement to take Johnny there and show him this wonderful city and introduce him to a wonderful friend who decides to live there(and spend Christmas like she's in the movie elf oh my god.) (hi Olivia)


You Might Also Like

0 comments