Dear Grace, I’m sorry.

I walk past the City life hotel every day and every night. I vaguely notice it due to the little Santa they set up for Christmas.

But now it’s hard to miss.

Flowers, candles, notes and pictures. For someone most of us didn’t know, I certainly didn’t know, but your story has affected me and most others.
Grace I am sorry. I am sorry you came to a country I rave so much about and didn’t get to leave. I’m sorry you weren’t safe in a country that I tell everyone has the friendliest people. I’m sorry you didn’t get to finish your gap year like I did. I’m sorry.

The whole of New Zealand is sorry.

I now understand why my mother worried so much when I first got on that plane by myself, but it’s so hard to imagine a country I spent a year in as a child and knew nothing but good words from be deemed scary.

New Zealand, females and travellers have all been affected by your story Grace for it should not have happened. We get told we shouldn’t be on dating sites or meet strangers, but when you’re a traveller it’s all you do because those strangers become friends and the moments become memories. You were doing what every other traveller does. Living your life.

I’m sorry that it got taken away from you.

New Zealand has always been a place that I have wanted everyone I know to see but at the same time keep all its beauty and wonders to myself.
I come from a country where if we see a bag unattended we’re warned not to approach it in case it’s a bomb. I remember telling my colleagues and seeing the shock in their eyes that in the same world as them this is what I was brought up with.

No country is perfect; let’s face it. But we should be doing all we can to make others feel safe within the country. I’m from a place where if a foreigner becomes a resident we complain ‘oh not another one.’
I now live in a place

 where when I tell people I’m a resident they congratulate me and welcome me to their country. New Zealand is not all bad but we are clearly not all good.

I think the way the country and Auckland has reacted to this unfortunate, unforgettable situation speaks wonders and I think it should be taught as a lesson that we can’t stop living our lives because of others. Girls, don’t let them win. Go on those dating apps, meet new people. But please send me your location so I know you’re good. Protect each other. We need each other in this world where everyone is fighting against us.

Again; Grace, I am sorry your story ended like this; we all are.

You Might Also Like

0 comments