IM CHANGING MY NAME?

I sat on facebook in the name change section reading that I couldn’t change it back for a certain amount of time so choose a name id liked. What if I didn’t like it straight away? I started to freak out a little bit despite talking about changing my name for months now. It had been eating at my mind and I thought changing on facebook would allow me to see if I actually liked how it looked. There was no commitment, but I was still scared. But I did it. I changed it, done.

I had changed from Lucy to Lucie.

Such a simple and to some silly change but to me it was ridiculously big. Ive always hated my name, to me its common, id grown up always knowing another lucy, id grown up not being the popular lucy in classes/groups, so I grew up starting to ignore my name when it was called knowing it wasn’t being called for me. When I was younger I fell in love with my middle name, so I started wanting to change my name to Victoria, I knew no Victorias and I still don’t I would have been an individual finally. But that never happened.
Asking about my name growing up with the famous question ‘why did you name me lucy?’ I was always given the same answer, I should have been called Amelia, and my mother never chose my name. She was set on nicknaming me Meli with my official title being Amelia. This made me mad a little, why did I get a name that I didn’t like and my mother didn’t like? Why didn’t I get this cool unique name Amelia? This was unfair in my mind.
I know changing names is a big thing, you have to change it everywhere, banks, licence, passport, bills. Its not an easy task and most of the time this is from changing your last name due to marriage or divorce. So id set it in my mind. When I get married along with my last name changing I plan to change my first. Not entirely, Lucy is now a part of me. But the spelling.
I know it seems silly. Its just the spelling people are still going to spell it with a Y. But to me this change makes me in control, I chose a name I like, its cuts the person who chose my name out of any contribution to me as a person. It’s new. I will be new.
I asked the most important people in life if they liked it first and asked for approval of my mother. She agreed. However the annoying thing is, at my current state I like my name change better with my current last name. Written down its so aesthetically pleasing and everyone’s agreed. How annoying.
But when I changed it on facebook, it took a little while for my best friend to notice, which I enjoyed and since no one has said anything different. But it makes me excited already to have Lucie as my official title. Ive spent my life telling people how to spell my last name, now ill get to spend the rest of it telling them how to spell my first.

And that is why I want to change my name.

However the annoying part now is all my social medias have this name that ive used and liked since I was 14, guess I have to go back to drawing board with social media names now. –sigh.


You Might Also Like

0 comments