I am an individual....

I am an individual.
I am a human.
I am a girl.
I am me.

Why is It people can’t see this? I am 20 years old and have lived the past 19 years as a solo functioning human. When suddenly, I found someone else, who I like sharing my life with. But instead of being two individual humans, who like to walk very close together, and hang out… a lot. It seems people look at me and see this blob attached to my hip with his face on it. So when my solo self-ventures out, it’s almost as if alarm bells ring in people’s heads.
SHES ALONE.
NO.
THAT’S NOT ALLOWED.
SHE HAS A THING NOW, HOW CAN SHE LEAVE HIM.
‘Where’s Johnny?’ I get asked, instead of hellos this is my greeting. ‘Is he coming later?’ they say as I hang out with them. Feeling like my presence isn’t good enough.
Being a traveller, and working in the same place, it’s hard to have friends which are YOURS as we all mutually hang out and know each other. So when you are being yourself, and hoping someone likes it, yet all you get asked if where your other half is, it’s heart-breaking.
I worked so hard to have an identity, to be my own person, why should it change because I have a cool guy by my side. Am I not worthy to have my own friends, am I not my own person, am I not capable of being out without him there?

Society loves to slate on couples that are together 100% of the time. So why do I get the feeling like I’m slated because I hang out with him a lot.
I know we go on adventures purely us, but we also know a lot of people don’t invite us out separately OR together, because we’re a couple. And it sucks. What makes me different with you at work alone, to when were outside of work alone.

Or plot twist – maybe I’m genuinely not a nice person and that’s why people don’t like me, and don’t like to hang out with me often. In which case someone should tell me, because right now I think I’m not too shabby.

You Might Also Like

0 comments