Christchurch after thoughts

I wrote on my first day In Christchurch and it wasn't very nice about it. And to be honest I felt like deleting it and re writing. But then I thought no, that was my first impression. This is something I want to remember. Spending 5hours continuously walking round Christchurch made my opinion alter.

It is clear that this town is still very much affected by the earthquake that happened almost 6years ago but it's also clear that they're trying to put the colour and life back into the city. The mall consists of shipping containers painted bright and quirky shops inside them, creating a fun little square with food trucks. Which clearly has a buzzing atmosphere to it.

The botanic gardens take you to a different world, quite literally, I got lost in them for a good hour. With the river Avon flowing all the way around, and the museum hidden at the start.

The museum holds all kinds of beauty behind the earthquake and the aftershocks that followed it. My favourite part was in Christchurch street, go into the toy store and you will see a giant dolls house, one to make me miss my dolls house. But if you look closely, there's a lot of dolls on the floor, items in the house knocked over, chairs across the room. This was the dollhouses scene after the earthquake and the many aftershocks hit. The staff at the museum thought it was nicer to leave it rather than fix it back to its perfect state. Because personally, I found this state to be beautiful, and real.  

With a wonder then through the art gallery I'd seen a few signs saying new regnant street was a beautiful street. So I went on a hunt, finding an Anglican Church all broken in the process. My instinct is that this was from the earthquake still, but with how badly destroyed it still is with little work being shown on it makes me wonder if it was anything else. Either way, being a Church of England baby it's sad seeing beautiful churches like that broken.

Around the corner and there was regant street. It honestly reminded me off old school blackpool. Shops at eye sight but if you look every house above is painted a different pastel colour adding character to this famous street where the tram also runs though.


So there is some beauty and colour in this city. But it's still very sad with how far it has to go. But that's okay, I'll be back in 20years to check how it's doing. And this time I won't stay in the city, but I'll also be able to drive which will help. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments