2020 top 5 reads

At the start of 2020 I knew one thing, and that was that I wanted to get back into reading again. My mental health was on a downward spiral so I reverted to old patterns that helped me in 2014, and that was reading.

Thanks to covid I got to read more than I would have but I thought out of the 22 books id read in the year I would share my top 5 favourites, in no particular order.

1.
The Flatshare – Beth O’leary

This was a book I kicked myself for not picking up earlier as I loved every chapter of it. The idea of two people living in the same space but only communicating by post it notes really showcased a true love story. I felt like Beth told two characters beautifully while never leaving a page feeling unnecessary.
It made me want to start leaving post it notes around the house even though I do see my partner everyday.

2.
Such a fun age – Kiley Reid.

When I was setting up my store(bookstore) I got drawn to this cover and I read the back intrigued but I didn’t pick it up till months later. Another great read I wish I would have got earlier, along with the BLM movement this book highlights the issues around people of colour vs white people, the issue when a babysitter is accused of stealing the child she is babysitting because of the colour of her skin and the clothes shes wearing. It such an enlightening read as its not uncommon for this to happen tomorrow.

3.
The hunting party- Lucy Foley

Id bought this book for my mother who loves a crime read, she really enjoyed it so I sold it to my friend who likes the same genre and finally I bought it for myself!
We don’t know who died and we don’t know who did it, but what we do know is this camping trip is going to change the friendship or really heighten what everyone knew about the friendship. This book keeps you turning pages right to the end as I was left guessing until the last minute. It really was one of the best crime books I had read this year. However choose one or the other of her books as they both share the same storyline.

 

4 & 5
The husbands secret & Nine perfect strangers – Liane Moriarty

I found a new author that I just want to buy all her books to! Both of these stories kept me on the edge of my seat turning the pages and getting little sleep because I wanted to keep reading. Her storylines are unique and the way she incorporates her characters keeps you gripped. I cant wait to pick up her other two but its no surprise once you read one why she had so many in the top 100.





What are your top 2020 reads? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments