The Fault in Tekapos Stars

I'd been told about Lake Tekepo having the clearest sky's in New Zealand and the second clearest in the world. I'd heard about the hundreds of stars that you can see. I've always loved star watching and often do it so I couldn't wait to go and see so many stars.

It was a beautiful day in tekapo as it often is thanks to the mountains surrounding the lake. The clouds have to creep through and over them to get anywhere near the lake, which I witnessed them try and it was quite magical. Almost like a scene out of a movie, I was just waiting for them to turn black and some witches curse to be made.(once upon a time I'm looking at you here)

The lake itself is just something out of a postcard, words and pictures can't do justice to this place. It's honestly unreal and has such a calming nature around it to follow.


There isn't a lot in Tekapo. It's more of a drive through/rest for a night place for people heading Queenstown-Christchurch, vise versa. You have a small little strip with a tavern, restaurant, bakery and four square for all your needs. There is also a hot springs pool further down on the lake, which I walked past and got a little sad I hadn't noticed it before. Although I think I would have melted with the heat already.


There are a few walks to do around as well. Which is what I did to kill time on the Wednesday morning. Check out time being 10am I dropped my bag at reception and made my way up Mount John which leads to a café and the observatory. The walk is aimed at an hour hike and is almost vertically up the mountain. I was glad I left at 10am so I could make my crawl up without anyone judging me and my breathing problem. And I made it up in 45minutes. With unbelievable views of the other side of the mount and the lake itself.

I stopped at the café for a hot chocolate and cookie as my reward and sat and watched as all the Asians around me scampered for the best shot of themselves and the lake below.

If I had been with someone else I would have done the same. However I did the solo traveler thing and sat on a rock and tried to take some cool pictures.

The hike back down the mountain was so much nicer being a vertically downhill, and the fact it was prime walking time I must have said hello to about 20people making there climb up. I love the kiwi nature.


Back down the mount and with time to kill still there was only one thing left to do here. Sunbathe.

As I mentioned at the start of this post, the stars in Tekapo are supposed to be some of the best in the world for viewing. However on a rather clear night as I ventured out to try get signal to call my boy, there wasn't a star out. Not one that I could see. A little heart broken at this fact but I also found it quite amusing as I wasn’t the only one outside baffled by not one single star in the sky.

I hope if you go to Tekapo, you get a better star gazing experience than me.


My beautiful view.

You Might Also Like

0 comments